Editorial PR Account Manager - Sport
We’re Press Box PR!
We’re an ambitious and growing agency made up of ex-journalists and PR professionals combining their experience of generating online media coverage for a range of clients in the sports, consumer and professional industries.
The Press Box team takes pride in media relations and we work hand-in-hand with journalists at publications around the world, generating stories, creative campaigns and ideas based on a thorough understanding of what makes online media tick.
It’s a place where you get out what you put in, with regular social events and a commitment to ensuring staff all benefit in career terms and financially from the growth they drive. After growing from a start-up to a team of almost 20 former journalists, we're looking to bring in the right sports editorial PR account manager that will help us deliver coverage and ideas for our growing sports clients.
Press Box PR was founded in 2020 and has grown into a fully-fledged agency, bringing in some of the best editorial and PR minds to gain coverage for brands in the media around some of the biggest news stories in the world – from the US Election to the Premier League title race.
Press Box PR are looking for an individual with a PR agency background or someone with editorial experience in digital sport to join our sports team as an editorial PR account manager. You will be responsible for designing and delivering Press Box PR's sport content to journalists in order to achieve coverage for our sports clients.
Your primary objective will be to increase the scope and volume of Press Box PR’s sport content, in turn expanding our media network and ultimately contributing to commercial growth with new and existing clients.
Your success will stem from your unique insight into the stories your media contacts love, based on your knowledge of what works best for them as a publisher, plugging clients into the news agenda to build successful client relationships on the back of outstanding media coverage.
You’ll have a blank canvas to create and execute projects, with the freedom to pitch your ideas to new and existing clients on the proviso you can plan, deliver and report on success.
You’ll also be given regular opportunities to identify and interview talent, as well as bringing sponsorship, creative and research campaigns to life around the biggest sporting events in the calendar in order to secure best-in-class online coverage.
You will also be encouraged to nurture media relationships, getting to know key journalists and editors in order to maximise the value you add to their news-gathering process. You will be expected to successfully pitch your peers and contacts at journalist and editor level at major outlets, as well as continually searching for new publications to land coverage in and build relationships with.
You’ll be given training and support to learn the non-editorial side of the job at your own pace, safe in the knowledge that through your understanding of media, creativity and contacts book, you’re already an expert in the most important aspects of the job.
- At least 2 years’ experience either working at a PR agency or as a digital sports journalist/editor at a mainstream online news publication
- The ability to use editorial judgement and your contacts to generate online media coverage on behalf of brands, products and spokespeople
- Competent in planning, reporting and project management including communication with stakeholders at all levels
- A network of relevant journalist & editor contacts - and an ability to grow more
- Strong writing and interviewing skills
- Strong data analysis & data sourcing skills
- An understanding of online publishing and the ability to design and pitch stories successfully to journalists and editors both from warm and cold relationships
- A strong understanding of how PR works to complement journalists and the news/content gathering process
- Committing to regular attendance in our central London office
- £28,000-£33,000 DOE
- Company pension
- Competitive annual bonus
- 30 days holiday (including bank holidays)
- Company Mac and tech allowance
- Regular social & training events
- Opportunity to work on a flexible basis from our new, thriving London office in Hatton Garden with colleagues and clients
To apply please introduce yourself along with your CV by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Press Box PR encourages applications from a diverse range of backgrounds, does not require applicants to have a University education and will support applicants from outside of London to cover costs associated with interviews.
- In-depth knowledge of football, as well as knowledge of other sports, including horse racing, cricket, boxing, UFC, golf, tennis, rugby and F1
- Experience in other areas of media including SEO, news, horseracing & B2B
- Experience as an editor/managing a team
- Experience working with commercial departments and brands
- Experience with tools such as Google Trends, Meltwater, Buzzsumo, Gorkana, CloudTangle & Buzzstream
- Commercial/sales experience
- Experience in pitching, commercial copywriting and design of presentations and other reporting/sales materials
- Basic understanding of SEO, public relations and content marketing strategies