BREAKING - Press Box PR seeks digital consumer journalist to make successful move into PR
Digital PR specialist - consumer
Are you a creative, well-connected and enterprising journalist who wants to use their editorial experience to make a transition into a successful career in public relations?
Do you want to join a growing PR agency based on a USP of trusting those who know media best to tell the story on behalf of a range of consumer clients?
Do you want to put your transferable editorial skills to the test in an environment where you’ll be supported to drive growth at an ambitious startup and rewarded accordingly?
Do you want to join a team of former journalists who have made the successful transition into PR and are now growing a business, running their own departments & projects and using their news nous commercially?
Do you have first hand experience of how best practice in PR is complementary to the newsgathering process and have you received a range of press releases, understanding what it takes to stand out to busy writers and editors?
Is your phonebook, Twitter follower list and personal circle a who’s-who of online journalists?
If you have created, written and edited stories at a range of major digital publications in consumer, news & lifestyle and know a story, how to reach an audience and have the contacts to make it happen, Press Box PR want to hear from you.
Who are Press Box PR
Press Box PR is a growing agency made up of ex-journalists and PR professionals combining their experience to cater for the digital PR needs of clients of all sizes in the sports, consumer and professional industries. We secure coverage by running stories through our editorial filter and only publicise what we know would run.
The Press Box team takes pride in media relations and we work in partnership with journalists at publications around the world, generating stories, creative campaigns and ideas based on a thorough understanding of what makes online media tick.
We are looking for a consumer/news specialist with a desire to make a move into PR the next step in their career to come and lead, expand and drive our consumer & news department as Press Box PR continues to grow outside of its foundations in sport.
About the role
Press Box PR are looking for an individual with experience in either digital consumer, news or lifestyle journalism to lead and develop our new consumer division.
You will be responsible for Press Box PR’s consumer output in full. From creating stories and securing coverage to nurturing client and media relationships alike, with the ultimate goal of establishing and growing the department, making a name for yourself as the go-to editorial PR person in the sector.
Reporting into the Managing Director & Founder, you’ll be given the support and autonomy to exceed client expectations fundamentally by delivering outstanding online media coverage.
The job involves creating the same stories, features and interviews that you know work for publications on behalf of clients before pitching them successfully to your peers and contacts at major outlets.
You’ll be given training and support to learn the non-editorial side of the job at your own pace, safe in the knowledge that through your understanding of media, creativity and contacts book, you’re already an expert in the hardest part of the job to teach.
- At least 5 years’ experience as a consumer, news or lifestyle journalist/editor at a major mainstream online news publication
- A network of relevant online consumer, news & lifestyle journalist & editor contacts - and an ability to grow more
- The ability to generate online media coverage on behalf of brands, products and spokespeople
- Experience sourcing and interviewing celebrities and other spokespeople
- Editorial judgement in online consumer, lifestyle and news beats
- Creative flair and an ability to turn data, ideas and trends into stories
- An understanding of online publishing and ability to design and pitch stories successfully to journalists and editors both from warm and cold relationships
- The ability to generate SEO-friendly online media coverage & write SEO-friendly articles
- An understanding of how PR works to complement journalists and the news/content gathering process
- A desire to use editorial/journalism skills to make a move into public relations
- Experience in managing senior stakeholders and clients
- Experience as an editor/managing a team
- Experience working with commercial departments and brands
- Experience with tools such as Google Trends, Meltwater, Buzzsumo, Gorkana, CloudTangle & Buzzstream
- Commercial/sales experience
- Experience in pitching, commercial copywriting and design of presentations and other reporting/sales materials
- Basic understanding of SEO, public relations and content marketing strategies
- Educational qualifications within journalism e.g. NCTJ qualified
Salary, benefits & perks
- £35,000-£45,000 DOE
- Company pension
- Competitive annual bonus
- 30 days holiday (including bank holidays)
- Company laptop, phone and/or tech allowance
- Company gym membership
- Regular social & training events
- Opportunity to work on a flexible basis from our new, thriving London office in Hatton Garden with colleagues and clients
To apply please introduce yourself along with a summary of any relevant experience, success and a quick win consumer coverage idea, emailing email@example.com